Child Support From Your Child’s Other Parent Stopped Coming? What Can You Do?

Get The Legal Help You Need!

The severe economic downturn due to COVID-19 has directly affected tens of millions of Americans. Making ends meet and paying bills, while difficult prior to the virus reaching our country’s western shores, could make it impossible for some parents to meet their child support obligations. That doesn’t change the fact that your child needs to be fed, housed, clothed, and generally cared for.

So, it can be a huge problem if child support payments stop coming from the payor. Fortunately, you have the law on your side. This blog will cover some legal avenues you can take to enforce court-ordered child support and get the compensation you need.

Enforcement Methods

As long as child support has been ordered by a judge, you actually have numerous ways to get your former partner to pay. You must first file a motion for civil contempt in court; there are state agencies that may be able to help, but you have the best chance of success if you retain legal counsel to help you get things moving.

So, what can a Court do to encourage the payor to pay the court-ordered child support?

  • Income withholding. This is different from wage garnishment, which can only be applied to future payments. Your ex’s employers would withhold income and send it straight to you.
  • Contempt of court penalties. The payor could be facing jail time and steep penalties if the unpaid child support problem is not resolved promptly and he or she has the ability to pay.

Don’t Take Matters into Your Own Hands

We understand your frustration if you aren’t receiving the child support payments you need. However, you should not see this as an opportunity to withhold your child from the other parent if the parenting plan calls for time sharing. Your child is not a bargaining chip, and judges will not look kindly upon your violation of the time sharing that has been court ordered.

The best thing for you to do is to contact a quality family law attorney who has experience with helping enforce court orders. The team at Divorce and Mediation Law Firm is prepared to handle your family law conflicts efficiently so you can resume your life.

We look forward to setting up a confidential consultation for you with one of our attorneys; call us at (954)-447-2580 to set something up.

Copyright © 2024. Divorce & Mediation Law Firm | Cabanas Law Firm. All rights reserved. 

The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Divorce & Mediation Law Firm | Cabanas Law Firm
18503 Pines Blvd, Suite 301
Pembroke Pines, FL 33029
(954) 447-2580

Sergio Cabanas, Esq. | Family Law Attorney | Cabanas Law Firm

Sergio Cabanas, Esq. founded the Cabanas Law Firm in 2006 and provides Divorce and Family legal services, as well as Estate Planning, to ensure his clients have planned for their newly single life and are protected after their divorce. He began his career in law in 1992 as a prosecuting attorney at the Broward County State Attorney’s Office, then continued his litigation track as an insurance defense attorney defending medical professionals against medical malpractice claims and expanded into disability and life insurance claims. Sergio is a Certified Mediator registered in the Supreme Court of Florida and a frequent speaker in the community about the importance of Estate Planning to keep families out of probate court and to prepare essential instructions in the event of disability or incapacity.